Children’s Safety Information
You may/may not be aware but we now have a defibrillator in school and staff and a number of children have been trained in its use. We were very fortunate in gaining a grant to purchase the defibrillator and the training that went with it. Our defibrillator is located in the school entrance hall. I am sure you will agree it is a vital piece of equipment to have in school. Sadly, children and young people can suffer sudden cardiac arrest, as well as the older population. Medical experts believe many children could be saved if a defibrillator is used within minutes of collapse. The defibrillator alerts us to call the emergency services who will respond immediately, but in the meantime vital lifesaving action can be taken to give the person the best possible chance of survival. However, there is currently no national system in place in the UK to ensure defibrillators are on school premises.
A free heartstart training session for parents also took place in the school hall – the first aid training covered cardiac arrests, dealing with an unconscious casualty, heart attacks, choking and bleeding.
Please see the links below to find out the latest information regarding swimming lessons at your local Salford Community Leisure Centres;
How to look after your bike and cycle safely
For Healthy Teeth and Gums please remember:
– Brush your teeth and gums at least twice a day (in the morning and last thing at night) with a pea-sized amount of fluoride toothpaste
– Use a smear of fluoride tooth paste for children under 3 years
– Clean all parts of the teeth: the inside, the outside, at the back and the biting surfaces
– Don’t forget to clean your tongue
– After brushing-spit, don’t rinse
– Use a toothbrush with a small head, soft or medium bristles and replace every three months
– Start brushing children’s teeth as soon as they appear
– Supervise young children when they brush their teeth
– Keep foods and drinks containing sugar to meal times
– Check foods and drinks for hidden sugars and choose sugar free alternatives
– Visit your dentist every year to prevent toothache, bad breath and unsightly teeth.
For further information please contact:
The Oral Health Improvement Team
Ordsall Health Centre
Salford M5 3PP